About the Project
- The Government of India has designated tourism key to regional development. Maitreya Buddha Project Kushinagar will bring major development to Eastern Uttar Pradesh.
- The Proposed Kasia International Airport, adjacent to Kushinagar will give visitors from all over the world immediate access to the many pilgrimage sites on the Buddhist Circuit of Northern India.
- As work proceeds, the Project will draw on expertise of Indian, regional, and international consultants, architects, engineers, town planners, and other professionals. The Project’s construction phase expects to directly employ hundreds of skilled and semiskilled workers, and more in industries supplying materials and services.
- After completion, hundreds will be employed to maintain the park and provide services to visitors year round.
- Maitreya Buddha Project will attract other appropriate investment to the region, creating long term employment opportunities. It will be a catalyst for the area’s infrastructure and facilitate visits by pilgrims and tourists. The region’s economy and civic life will evolve and develop naturally.
Maitreya Buddha Project will over time, be one of the biggest developments in the Kushinagar area. The Project will be significant to the State of Uttar Pradesh and indeed to India. The location of the Project in Kushinagar will help catalyze development in the rural Eastern part of the State. In the West of Uttar Pradesh is the bustling high tech centre of Noida. In the southwest is Agra and the Taj Mahal which draws millions of visitors a year. Kushinagar is a key part of the Buddhist circuit. Kushinagar is where Shakyamuni Buddha passed into Parinirvana and where Shakyamuni Buddha was cremated. Over time Maitreya Buddha Project will help revitalize this area where Shakyamuni walked and taught, to become an accessible destination for pilgrims and tourists from India and around the world.
The first reaction of some people is to ask, “why spend so much money on a statue?. Why not spend it on education, health, or improving living standards in the Kushinagar area?”
Because the project is of such scale it will in fact bring the exactly benefits of economy, healthcare, and education, as an inseparable consequence. The Maitreya Buddha Project will trigger streams of secondary, direct and indirect benefit both spiritual and material.
Materially these benefits will include health and education, job creation and opportunities, technology, trade, tourism, agriculture and services.
Employment and Job Creation
The Project will draw on the expertise of Indian and regional consultants and experts in the fields of architecture, engineering, landscaping, finance, tourism, horticulture, and public relations. The construction phase will employ hundreds of skilled and semiskilled workers directly, and many others will be employed in industries supplying material and services. Once construction is complete hundreds will be employed to maintain the Park and provide services to visitors year-round.
A project of this size will inject a significant amount of funds to the economy of Kushinagar and Uttar Pradesh. Directly this will benefit local commerce, industry, and services. The Project will have a multiplier effect throughout the economy of the state.
In this way the Project is a truly sustainable Project. The local community are able to develop economically, through education, they are able to develop skills, and those skills will be essential to the operation of the Project itself, and to the related commercial, tourism, hospitality, spiritual, and other activities that will spring up in the wake of the Project.